How to configure system-config-securitylevel-tui to permit only the internal LAN to access my ADSL router?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 13:46:04 UTC 2004

John Summerfield wrote (about ADSL routers):
> I would not make any such assumption. I know of one brand that has, by
> default, telnet open to the Internet.

So do I.

Helpful hint: with some of those, you can't actually switch off the
remote telnet; the device wants to either handle it itself or forward
port 23 somewhere. But you can forward port 23 to a non-existent host on
your local network, which has the same effect.

Consumer grade network devices: they're all the same, yet all suck in
their own weird and wonderful ways...

James.

--
E-mail address: james | DON'T be put off by "horror stories" spread by
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | others.  People who talk about death and serious