Laptop sound strangeness...

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Thu Nov 18 13:53:07 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I've installed FC3 on a HP/Compaq nx7000 laptop. The "fresh" install
went normally. Yum updates went normally. The end result is a KDE3.3.1
desktop with wireless (ipw2100), modem (snd-intel8x0m) and WXGA
(1680x1050) display. After putting snd-intel8x0 in
/etc/hotplug/blacklist, Sound seemed to work normally. I've been able to
"rip" songs from a CD and store them on disk, play them back with xmms,
zinf, realplayer, rythmbox, kaboodle, & KPlayer. The "strangeness" is
the when I went to simply "play" an audio CD using KsCD. It started
fine, and managed to get the correct CDDB information on ablum, artist,
track, etc. When i pressed "play" it acted like it was playing, (CD
drive was being accessed, time counting on the display, etc) but no
sound came out. Checked the volume settings and everything was fine,
same as when I was playing music with the other players.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

John