FC3: KDE Fonts Out of Proportion

Thu Nov 18 20:19:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 14:55 -0500, Jason McCormick wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>   I just installed a new, clean FC3 box.  I have a Dell Inspiron 8600
> laptop with the WUXGA screen.  I'm running the screen at a 16:10 aspect
> ratio - 1680x1050 pixels.  When I run KDE, the fonts are out of proportion
> with the screen.  For example the default 10pt fonts for the menus and such
> look like 18 or 20 point fonts.  This problem is not present in Gnome so
> I'm assuming that something in Gnome is controlling font scaling in some
> way.  Is there a way to fix the fonts in KDE?
>

> Thanks in advance!
>
> -- Jason

Jason,

I do not use KDE, but do believe that in the KDE configuration
application, there is a setting for specifying the number of pixels per
inch on your display. I suspect that this setting is not correct and
almost certainly different than under GNOME, hence the differing font
sizes and perhaps even different fonts. I believe that the default is
usually 96 dpi.

Also, there are other folks here (just within the past 24 hours), who
are having general X configuration problems with the same or a similar
Dell WUXGA based system (presuming that you might have an nVidia card
and are using the nVidia driver).

Might it be possible for you to post your xorg.conf and any key issues
(ie. did you remove the rhgb from grub.conf) in a different post with an
appropriate subject? That might be helpful to others to learn from your
success.

Marc Schwartz