removing old kernels

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Nov 18 22:18:35 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 18.11.2004 schrieb Mark Bradford um 23:08:

> I'm a linux newbie and currently have three kernels installed in FC2.
> The issue is that the oldest I installed with rpm, the next with apt and
> the most current, 2.6.9 using up2date.  I tried to remove the oldest
> with rpm -e... but it won't uninstall because rpm thinks there is no
> other kernel present on the system.  How do I backtrack and clean up my
> mess?
>
> Mark

On the base line all kernels are installed by rpm (speaking about not
self installs from sources, but using apt-rpm or up2date).

Run "uname -r" to see which kernel is actually running. Maybe the kernel
you tried to remove is running and not the latest. "rpm -qa | grep
kernel | sort" will print you out all rpm installed kernels (along with
kernel-utils package - don't erase those). Then uninstalling an old
kernel, currently not used ist possible with "rpm -e
kernel-VERSIONNUMBER".

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 23:16:28 up 1 day, 1:02, load average: 2.55, 1.13, 0.86