List etiquette question

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Nov 18 23:27:04 UTC 2004

On Friday 19 November 2004 01:25, jack wallen wrote:
> what i'm trying to say here is that things do evolve. if you just try to
> force the old standards simply because they are the "old standards" then
> you might possibly miss something pretty darned nifty.

So far I have 100% record complaning about people sending graphic images to
mailing lists: I don't frequest any lists where such are explicitly on-topic.

I resent people stealing my bandwidth with extraneous material. O volunteer my
time and money to help people.

> now as far as this 'top posting/bottom posting' discussion is concerned
> - i find it rather silly. i'll read people's posts if they no matter
> where they are. but i'm not going to all of a sudden start top posting
> here and bottom posting there when the overwhelming majority of people i
> email would look at me as if i were an idiot if i said "do you prefer
> top or bottom posting?"
>
> i would like to think if a topic is important to you - you'll read it

Many (most) threads begin with a question. If your question is important to
you, you'd best comply with the preferences of those whom you'd like to
answer.

Few object to replies such as this, with extraneous matter pruned and replies
in context.

> regardless of where the quote is. of course the vast majority of the
> threads that come through this list are of no interest to me. the only
> one's i care to read are those where i have a similar problem or
> something seems interesting to me.  like this thread. :-D

Oh, please don't set reply-to when writing to this _discussion_ list. I write
_to the list_ I do not generally welcome off-list repies.

Replies to the list
Are read and checked by others
Are often helpful to others than the originator of the Q
Are archived for later researchers with similar problems.

If you want to to write to an audience of one, I will but it will cost you
real money.

--
Cheers
John