FC2 and Apache 2.0.49

PIGNOL, Christian christian_pignol at merck.com
Fri Nov 19 13:47:58 UTC 2004

Hello everybody,

I have some trouble with my apache server ...

My server is HP Proliant DL580G2 (2 Gb memory) running FC2 with kernel
2.6.6-1.435.2.1.smp (compiled from the fedora ".src.rpm" on this system).

My Apache Server is the 2.0.49-4 (coming with the FC2). He starts fine with
initially 32 httpd process ...and during the apache's life the number of
httpd process go higher (up to 80-90) and reduce automatically when the
activity go back to a lower level ... Normal !

But ...
Around 2 or 3 weeks later (approximatively), the number of httpd processes
grows suddenly to reach 350-400 processes !
At this point, every new user request is rejected but all the existing
requests works fine ... The server isn't over memory ... Just 5-10 % used.
If I do a "service httpd stop" the respons is "OK" ... but some httpd
process are allways present and ... unfortunately uninterruptible !

Every "kill -9 pid" or a "killall httpd" can't kill them and a "service httd
start" isn't possible.

The only way I have to return to a normal situation is a server reboot.

Thanks for any help.

Christian

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.