USB Scanner Permission Problem

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 19 14:34:31 UTC 2004

Tim Waugh wrote:

>On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 03:13:09PM +0100, Alexander Appel wrote:
>

>>Anyone found out how to set the user-permissions of an USB scanner
>>that's connected at boot-time in Fedora Core 3 permanently?
>>

>Please see bug #121511.  Short answer: fetch the hotplug and
>sane-backends packages from rawhide and try them out.
>
>Tim.
>*/

I rushed to do what you said, I now have
[root at gstpc-fc3 ~]# rpm -q sane-backends
sane-backends-1.0.15-2
[root at gstpc-fc3 ~]# rpm -q hotplug
hotplug-2004_04_01-10
and my Epson 1240U scanner still will not open in Gimp until I execute
chmod a+w /proc/bus/usb/003/002
as root.

I rebooted just to be sure.

What am I missing?