removing old kernels

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Nov 19 15:17:09 UTC 2004

Mark Bradford wrote:
> rpm -qa | grep kernel shows the old kernel is gone????  For some reason,
> as I initially stated, rpm seemed to not want to remove it, but I guess
> it did.  Thanks for the input.

If you did "rpm -e kernel", that it attempted to remove *all* three
kernels you had installed.  I don't know what's rpm going to do in this
case (simply exit, remove all but one (probably a random choice?),
something else).

What you wanted to do is to first get the list of all installed kernel
packages, and then specifically remove the ones that you don't need.

   rpm -q kernel
   rpm -e kernel-version-1 kernel-version-2

Where version-1 and version-2 are kernel versions that you wanted to remove.