NFS mounts in /etc/fstab

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Nov 19 16:13:35 UTC 2004

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> C. Linus Hicks wrote:
>
>> It sounds like a timing issue to me. Is it possible your network has not
>> completed starting, including firewall? Or maybe the timeout on the
>> server is too short?
>
> Ahhh...  There it was.  Network was alright, but not all naming services
> were up and running.  I had IP address in fstab, and it seems something
> was doing reverse lookup.  When I made sure all name services are
> configured before netfs, it started to work.

Actually, there it wasn't.  Bill Nottingham of RedHat asked me to try
putting "sleep 5" at the beggining of netfs script instead or reordering
the services in rc?.d directories.  And all the sudden, everything works
as expected.  Just to share this with the group in case somebody has the
same problem and finds this thread in the archives.