imap

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Nov 19 16:21:35 UTC 2004

Paul Tomblin wrote:
> In other words, once you use Cyrus, you can never access your mail any
> other way.  No thank you.  The other imap clients leave your mail in
> /var/spool/mail. and so when you're local (or sshed in through the
> firewall) you can read it using mutt directly out of the spool.

Well, yeah.  It has advantages and disadvatages.  I thought mutt can use
IMAP too?  Or use Cyrus' spool directory directly (basically, it's just
bunch of directories with one file per email, nothing fancy)?  Oh, and
those nice email tools called grep and less also work with both types of
spools quite well ;-)

Even if you decide you are sick and tired of Cyrus, converting it back
to mbox format is trivial (just don't forget to sed 's/^From />From /'
while you are converting).