How do I convert FAT32 to ext3 ?

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Nov 19 16:31:05 UTC 2004

Terry Linhardt wrote:
> I have acquired a disk formatted as FAT32. I would like to convert it to
> ext3. It would be appreciated if someone can give me a quick summary of
> the steps involved (or point me to some documentation. The disk is USB,
> and the OS does "see" it.

You can't convert it.  You need to move data somewhere else, redo the
file system as ext3 (mkfs -j), and copy the data back to it.  FAT32 and
ext3 are completely different file systems.  It is unlikely there's a
tool that does conversion. (as a side note, even NTFS (where such
conversion is possible) that was converted from FAT/FAT32 is not exactly
the same thing as "native" NTFS).