How do I convert FAT32 to ext3 ?

Terry Linhardt linhardt at swbell.net
Fri Nov 19 16:55:16 UTC 2004

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Terry Linhardt wrote:
>
>> I have acquired a disk formatted as FAT32. I would like to convert it
>> to ext3. It would be appreciated if someone can give me a quick
>> summary of the steps involved (or point me to some documentation. The
>> disk is USB, and the OS does "see" it.
>

> You can't convert it.  You need to move data somewhere else, redo the
> file system as ext3 (mkfs -j), and copy the data back to it.  FAT32
> and ext3 are completely different file systems.  It is unlikely
> there's a tool that does conversion. (as a side note, even NTFS (where
> such conversion is possible) that was converted from FAT/FAT32 is not
> exactly the same thing as "native" NTFS).

I did not explain myself well. :(

There isn't any data on the disk. Not anything I want to save, anyway.
But, I simply want a disk which is currently formatted as FAT32 to be
formatted as ext3.  I realize any existing data (which is of no use to
me) will be destroyed.

If I understand, I can do an fdisk, re-write the partition as a Linux
partition, and then do an an mkfs -j .

Regards..Terry