Xmms and MP3 in FC3

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 19:13:33 UTC 2004

Hi

. It is only a
> matter of time until either the xmms developers remove mp3 support or
> get sued by Fraunhofer and we can only hope that the project does not
> completely disappear in the latter case.

your suggestion to use ogg vorbis was correct. Your implication that
fraunhofer would sue xmms is incorrect. Basically a patent on the
algorithm means that a free implemenatation is possible but people who
*distribute* it are liable. xmms doesnt proactively distribute it. It
only makes a implementation *available*. also end users are allowed to
use the implementation from a place where its available but not
*distributed*. so redhat cannot distribute it. end users can use it
and xmms can make it available

--
Regards,
Rahul Sundaram