FC3 DVD iso question - actual size?

M Daniel R M danes16subscrip3 at ya.com
Fri Nov 19 23:18:13 UTC 2004

El jue, 18-11-2004 a las 22:27, Bob Hartung escribió:
> Would someone please enlighten me:
>
>    The size of the DVD-iso of FC3 is listed as :
> 			 	    2466410496 bytes
>    I have downloaded it three times from three
>       separate sources and each time it is listed
>       as size:                       2147483647 bytes
>
> Needless to say it fails the MD5SUM test.  What is the cause of
> this behavior?  Sites used include mirrors.kernel.org amongst others.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob

That size belongs to amount of 2 GB exactly.
If you're using a FAT32 filesystem partition, there is a limitation of
size files to 2GB maximum indeed.
If you're not using that to store the download, but another filesystem
as ext3..., and you did it with wget -as it happened to me a few days
ago-, you was not probably much careful reading the "release-notes" (as
myself):
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html

Extracted:
Note

If you intend to download the Fedora Core 3 DVD ISO image, keep in mind
that not all file downloading tools can accommodate files larger than
2GB in size. For example, wget will exit with a File size limit exceeded
error.

The curl and ncftpget file downloading tools do not have this
limitation, and can successfully download files larger than 2GB.

P.S. Probably you know this, but if what you want is simply a final
bootable DVD as result, also you can opt to download each CD iso, to
check the md5sum, and then if everything is OK to follow those two steps
that are said, for example, here:
http://www.linuxcompatible.org/story23334.html

The needed script is at ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/mkdvdiso.sh

That's maybe safer if you don't have a huge bandwidth, but don't tell
me..., I'm afraid you do :)

Regards