OT: Power Supplies

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Sat Nov 20 05:55:22 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 07:00 -0800, RoboticGolem wrote:
> > On Friday 19 November 2004 22:45, RoboticGolem wrote:
> >

> > > Does everyone here agree that a 500watt power supply is sufficient
> > > enough for a dual MP 1800 board with 4 hard disks, DVDrom, cdrw,
> > > dvdrw, and plenty of self powered usb hubs?  I'm trying to figure out
> > > whats up with my computer and my next stop is to call an electrician.
> >
> > Yes but
> >
> > Why don't you explain the problem?
> >
> > I presume you're getting spontaneous reboots, but those an be caused by other
> > things.
> >
> > I'd think that if the power is marginal, starting a fredgen freezer or vacuuum
> > cleaner on the same circuit would trigger the problem.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> > John
> >
> > --
> >
> Well ok, here goes.  I recently did a post about X quiting out with a
> sig11 a lot.  Its usually about once or twice a week but the other day
> it did it like 3 times in a row.  The only responce I got was that it
> could be bad ram.  So I ran memtest on the machine.  Nothin, I have
> registered ECC ram (required for my board) I've pulled the sound card,
> no effect.  I havent had a spontaneous reboot since I got the new
> video card.  Which gives me the same effect weather I use the
> comercial nvidia drivers or the open source nv drivers.  I dont seem
> to have the same problem in windows, but I run windows about as much
> as I run in the street.  The only thing I've come up with is that its
> either the power supply, or I need to get some sort of line
> conditioner for the plug its pluged into.  I have a beautiful surge
> protector, but I guess that wouldnt stop drops in the power level.
> Thanks for all your help.
>
> -Matt

I would first get one of those testers with the lights you plug into the
wall for like 4 bucks, to see if the wiring is correct and grounded
properly.  Your electric company may have a customer on your grid that
at times sucks a huge amount of juice and you get a big sag.  I "think"
a UPS would keep a steady flow going, but I'd read the box first.  I use
APC's because I had a cheap one that was toast when the power went off
at work, it stunk up the place, the APC was fine.  Or like someone said
too much heat, run with out the cover and see what happens.

Every couple of months I get a quick beep out of the two UPS's at work
when the power goes off for a split second.  Power is not always 100%
and clean.  I still turn on a light switch when I go into a room during
a power failure :-)

Tim...

--
Shameless plug for my