Installing grub for a different computer

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 20 09:28:49 UTC 2004

    Kevin> Since you were able to mount the partitions when the drive
    Kevin> was installed in the other PC, I thought corruption would
    Kevin> be unlikely.

    >> From Toms Root Boot diskette you can run e2fsck to determine
    >> the state
    Kevin> of the filesystem.

Well, I got everything working, except for one thing - I could not get
Grub installed on the MBR of the hard disk.

Still, it's not a problem - I upgraded to FC3, and that has installed
Grub on the MBR for me, so now all is fine.

But I would like to know what I was doing wrong, in case I need to do
it again.
What I did was:

root (hd0,4)
setup(hd0)

This seemed to work - installation and verification were all reported
as working. But when I cam to boot, I saw no messages from Grub
(neither loading stage 2 nor hard disk error nor anything). It just
seemed to stop.
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire