Firefox v. Epiphany

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sat Nov 20 10:33:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 10:13, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> I've used Epiphany up until now (I used to use Galeon, before it was
> replaced by Epiphany - I preferred Galeon).
> Now I'm about to upgrade to FC3, should I go with Firefox instead?
> Anyone made (or rejected) the change?

I switched to Firefox and I haven't upgraded to FC3 yet. Epiphany had
one thing going for it: it's very well integrated into GNOME (my
preferred desktop) and is consequently fast to start up. However, I
personally could never get used to its bookmarking system, and
eventually went back to Galeon.

But since trying out Firefox I stopped using even Galeon. I *love*
Firefox. It's a truly great browser. There are a number of benefits: (a)
it has killer everyday browser features -- live bookmarks (bookmark RSS
feeds), integrated searching; (b) there are dozens of extensions, and
more will come, so that you can probably add any functionality that is
missing; (c) they seem to have done quite a bit of work to integrate
Firefox with GNOME.

For me another key thing is that as a web developer I used to use one
browser for just good-old-fashioned browsing (Galeon) and another
(Mozilla) for development (because of Mozilla's Javascript debugger, DOM
inspector, DevEdge sidebar, Web Developer Extension). But with Firefox I
finally have one browser that I use for everything -- much more
convenient.

I heartily recommend Firefox.

Best, Darren