do I need SELinux?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Nov 20 15:10:58 UTC 2004

Steven Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:49:39 -0500, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette at insight.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

>>fixfiles relabel comes back with a command not found. I am using up2date
>>to get the strict policy and to see if any deps are pulled in which
>>include fixfiles
>

> I  have the same issue on the upgraded machine. OTOH, I installed FC3 on a
> brand new Compaq yesterday. SELinux seems to be working and happy.

I never had SELinux installed on this computer before. I remember
downloading a host of programs and dropping to a shell, then performing
the fixfiles relabel, which did restore my computer to a usable SELinux
state.

What surprised me is that neither installing selinux-policy-targeted or
selinux-policy-strict pulled in any needed dep for selinux to include
the fixfiles utility. The below listed are all that ended up being
installed. I'll have to search the SELinux list archivs for the list of
programs that contain fixfiles.

selinux-policy-targeted-1.17.31-1
libselinux-1.19.1-3
selinux-policy-strict-1.17.30-2

Running in permissive because of the missing fixfiles and no logs or
httpd specific corrections.

Jim