Server Tools Don't Prompt for Root Password

Randy Chrismon rchrismon at patmedia.net
Sat Nov 20 15:50:17 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 22:41 -0500, Randy Chrismon wrote:
>

>>Does anybody else have any thoughts about why my Server Tools no longer
>>prompt for the root password. Now they only throw up a message box
>>saying insufficient rights. I've tried every keyword I could think of to
>>browse archives and documentation but I've not come up with anything.
>>

>Which server tools? Something like system-config-httpd?
>
>Are you trying the ones in /usr/bin?
>
>Paul.

Sorry, should have been clearer. The System Tools are the ones off the
KDE or Gnome menu -- you know, clicking on the Red Hat button. Included
are the Network Device Control, Printing Configuration, things like
that. Of course, I can start  many of them by going to su and typing the
command at the shell prompt but it was far more convenient to click on
the menu item and be prompted for the su password.
Thanks.
Randy