FC3 how to enable plain framebuffer or vesa mode for X?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Nov 20 17:44:17 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 20.11.2004 schrieb Philipp Ott um 18:34:

> I fail to make FC3 work on my Asus P4S800D motherboard with Geforce FX
> 5900 graphics card.
>
> Is there a way to use stock FC3 software to switch X to Framebuffer or
> Vesa mode without research & compilation? And if so, how to make it?
> fbset only reports 640x480 mode and I can't switch to anything else.

> Philipp Ott

Old but still valid: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html

You can use vesa framebuffer or the rivafb module. With last then don't
use the NVidia closed source driver for X.

video=rivafb:1280x1024-24 at 80

would be a valid kernel parameter.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 18:43:44 up 13:31, 16 users, 0.25, 0.38, 0.28