root at localhost

Richard Hubbell richard.hubbell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 20:02:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:32:06 -0700, Doug Carter <dscinland at hotmail.com> wrote:

> This is my first try with Fedora Core or Linux for that mater.
> I started with a clean Hard drive. The Media check druing install passed the
> disc I had downloaded and burned. I selected ,Personal Desk Top, Auto
> Partion, and the Minimal package group (I've only downloaded the first
> disc-FC3-i386-disc1.iso )
> Everything loaded fine, on the first boot after install all the lines had a
> [ OK  ] at the end of them.
>
> Now this is my probem;
> The screen comes up looking like I've shown below in comand line form.
>

> Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg)
> Kernel 2.6.9-1.667 on an i686
>
> localhost login:            (I put "root" here )
> Password:                  (I put the password I'd used during installation
> here)
> [root at localhost ~]#     ( this is what comes up)
>

> What do I do from here?
> nothing I've tried will get me any farther.
> I've read through the manuals and can not find any help for this problem

Where did you want to go? (^:
I will take a guess that you were expecting a GUI.
I think you have to configure a GUI in inittab.  Someone more adept at this
can surely guide you.  I would suggest to reinstall and make sure to
select a desktop
I think there are 3 choices, KDE, Gnome and another??

hth,
Richard