clamassassin with call to clamav software corrupts mail messages

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Sat Nov 20 21:19:01 UTC 2004

This is a follow up on trying to diagnose why I am getting duplicate mail
messages. I have turned on verbose in fetchmail call to see if I could see
something amiss in fetchmail with my mail server. Yesterday when I envoked
fetchmail via fetchmail -K --verbose I did not experience any duplicate mail
messages. I perused the log file and everyting looked good. Today when I
envoked fetchmail via fetchmail -K --verbose I am experiencing duplicate mail
messages again. I looked at the log file and everything seemed to be normal,
however after receiving 70 messages it slept for a while. Then it started to
receive messages again starting with message 1, then 2, etc. Here is an
excerpt from the log:

fetchmail: starting fetchmail 6.2.5 daemon
fetchmail: 6.2.5 querying mail.comcast.net (protocol POP3) at Sat 20 Nov 2004 11:13:14 AM PST: poll started
fetchmail: POP3< +OK (rwcrpxc51) Maillennium POP3/PROXY server #71
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE NEVER
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Maillennium/PROXY V04.80c++ [15-Oct-04] cpu_sparfetchmail: POP3< c.os_solaris_bsd.comp_gnu
fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 0
fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
fetchmail: POP3< RESP-CODES
fetchmail: POP3< STLS
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> STLS
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Begin TLS negotiation
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: self signed certificate in
certificate chain
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: self signed certificate in
certificate chain
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: RSA Data Security, Inc.
fetchmail: Unknown Issuer CommonName
fetchmail: Server CommonName: mail.comcast.net
fetchmail: mail.comcast.net key fingerprint: 86:4B:ED:3A:64:CE:70:D4:56:C1:DE:57
:C6:92:AC:19
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: self signed certificate in
certificate chain
fetchmail: POP3> CAPA
fetchmail: POP3< +OK Capability list follows
fetchmail: POP3< EXPIRE NEVER
fetchmail: POP3< IMPLEMENTATION Maillennium/PROXY V04.80c++ [15-Oct-04] cpu_sparfetchmail: POP3< c.os_solaris_bsd.comp_gnu
fetchmail: POP3< LOGIN-DELAY 0
fetchmail: POP3< PIPELINING
fetchmail: POP3< RESP-CODES
fetchmail: POP3< STLS
fetchmail: POP3< TOP
fetchmail: POP3< UIDL
fetchmail: POP3< USER
fetchmail: POP3< .
fetchmail: POP3> USER r.godzilla
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: POP3> PASS *
fetchmail: POP3< +OK ready
fetchmail: POP3> STAT
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 72 715764
fetchmail: POP3> LAST
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 0
fetchmail: 72 messages for r.godzilla at mail.comcast.net (715764 octets).
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 1 1052
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 1 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: reading message r.godzilla at mail.comcast.net:1 of 72 (1052 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP< 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.1/8.12.11; Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:13:18 -0800
fetchmail: SMTP> EHLO localhost
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-localhost.localdomain Hello localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-PIPELINING
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-8BITMIME
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-SIZE
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-DSN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-ETRN
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5
fetchmail: SMTP< 250-DELIVERBY
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 HELP
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<bsntswbcz at mailpanda.com> SIZE=1052
fetchmailfetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<rmiles at localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.1.5 <rmiles at localhost>... Recipient ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.0.0 iAKJDI3s004824 Message accepted for delivery
fetchmail:  flushed
fetchmail: POP3> DELE 1
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: POP3> LIST 2
fetchmail: POP3< +OK 2 1533
fetchmail: POP3> TOP 2 99999999
fetchmail: POP3< +OK
fetchmail: reading message r.godzilla at mail.comcast.net:2 of 72 (1533 octets)
fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<patwoods at xodar.lessnews.com> BODY=7BIT SIZE=1533
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.1.0 <patwoods at xodar.lessnews.com>... Sender ok
fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<rmiles at localhost>
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.1.5 <rmiles at localhost>... Recipient ok
fetchmail: SMTP> DATA
fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.0.0 iAKJDI3t004824 Message accepted for delivery
fetchmail:  flushed
: SMTP< 250 2.1.0 <bsntswbcz at mailpanda.com>... Sender ok
< snip >

As far as I can determine this dialog looks okay. Strange that it would appear
that the original messages must not have been erased from my mail server
causing fetchmail to reread messages starting with 1. This pattern of repeated
message reception has occures 12 times so far.

Does anyone have a clue as to what may be causing this. Any help will be
appreciated.

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA.