yum, crontab, and logwatch

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Nov 20 23:54:36 UTC 2004

On 11/20/2004 03:30:19 PM, Erik Hemdal wrote:
> Hi Sharon:
>

> > I'm trying to write a crontab entry to run yum update at 0100 and
> this is as
> > far as I've got '0 1 * * * /usr/bin/yum update' but I'm unsure if
> this will
> > work. Can anyone reassure me please, or if not, what is the correct
> syntax?
> >

> This looks like you are editing root's personal crontab using crontab
> -e.  Your entry is on track, but the following:
>
> 0 1 * * * /usr/bin/yum -y update

What's even better is to write a shell script that downloads but does
not install updates, and mails you if there is one (or just read the
mail from cron)

You still have to manually update, but the packages are already
downloaded - and you can opt out of an update if you don't want it -
useful if you have non Fedora repositories in your yum configuration.