List etiquette question

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Nov 21 04:29:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 14:12 -0500, ghod wrote:
> Ed Wilts, RHCE wrote:
>
> > On 11/20/2004 09:58 AM, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> >
> >> As a suggestion for the future, please do not post in HTML to this list.
> >

> > The simplest way to train the HTML users is to ignore any HTML
> > posting.  There are so many questions to so many lists that we all
> > have to choose which to respond to and which to ignore.  Ignore the
> > HTML ones and eventually they'll get the message.
> >
> >     .../Ed
> >
> That's not training that RUDE
> I simply made a simple error when tryingto reply on my winBLOWS account
> so SUE me, I'm working on fixing a ISP provider error on my unix account
>
> JERK
> he said something and I fixed it.. was it that hard to mention it?
> I know to post in plain text to the list.. was just using a different system
>
> I'm mean it.. the RUDE arrogant people on this list really need to take
> a look at themselves!!!!
>
> I will not help if they top post!
> I will not help if they use html
> I will not help if they make a typo
> I will not help I will only make trouble!
>
> GO GET A LIFE!
> if you want to help HELP or shut the FUCK UP!
>
> Ghod

Ed was responding because of the many people that have spoken in this
thread with the attitude that they can do whatever they want, no matter
that it irritates the members of the community, and they expect everyone
to overlook their arrogance and abrasive attitude.

If you are so thin-skinned that his comment is taken personally (as it
seems it was) then you are the one who loses here.

Every one here, who routinely provides assistance to many, deserves
respect and thanks for their expertise and a willingness to share their
knowledge and teach those who ask for assistance.

I agree with most, that those who ask politely (including not posting in
HTML or if it happens inadvertently are willing to acknowledge it and
correct the problem) deserve an answer.  OTOH, those who DEMAND an
answer and are arrogant in their attitude do NOT deserve an answer.

Which are you?