Can't install FC3 on laptop won't accept CD #2

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 21 04:28:36 UTC 2004

Steve Watford wrote:

> I downloaded all the FC3 iso’s. Burned them fine. MD5SUMS check fine
> on all disks. Media checks are fine on all CD’s. When starting the
> install all is fine thru the initial setup, partitions are formatted
> and all is fine. Then it asks for Disk #2. When it is inserted,
> program reports incorrect disk . Can’t proceed with the install beyond
> that point. I guess I can download and burn the DVD iso, but has
> anyone else seen this. All disks pass all tests, but it won’t go on to
> the second disk. Computer is a new hp laptop that has XP preinstalled
> on it. I’ve been using linux since 7.2 and haven’t seen this one before.
>
> Any suggestions?

When you get to the boot: prompt type in the following:

linux ide=nodma

For some reason, FC3 decided that all IDE devices use DMA with the
installation program. After installation, only hard drives will have DMA
enabled.
This has been discussed, at length, on the list.

--

James McKenzie
jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Brought to you by Fedora Core 2 and Mozilla Mail 1.7.3