Can't install FC3 on laptop won't accept CD #2

Steve Watford stevetreo at intnet.net
Sun Nov 21 04:59:01 UTC 2004

> > I downloaded all the FC3 iso's.  Burned them fine. MD5SUMS check fine on
> all
> > disks. Media checks are fine on all CD's.  When starting the install all
> is
> > fine thru the initial setup, partitions are formatted and all is fine.
> Then
> > it asks for Disk #2. When it is inserted, program reports incorrect disk
> .
> > Can't proceed with the install beyond that point.  I guess I can
> download
> > and burn the DVD iso, but has anyone else seen this. All disks pass all
> > tests, but it won't go on to the second disk.  Computer is a new hp
> laptop
> > that has XP preinstalled on it.  I've been using linux since 7.2 and
> haven't
> > seen this one before.
>
> > Steve
>
> If you are sure CD2 is fine, then start installation with either "linux
> ide=nodma" or "linux cdnodma" at install boot prompt. You can too switch
> to console 3 or 4 to see more information by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F[3,4]
> (or without Ctrl if doing a text install).
>
> Alexander

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try what you suggest. I have had
plenty of install programs over the years with linux, but never this one
when all the CDs checked good on all checks.

I saw the dma problems discussed at length in the list. All the messages I
saw were relating to cds failing the mediacheck. Mine all pass mediacheck
and it installs all the programs off the first disk just fine.  It is only
the when it gets to the second disk that it chokes and won't go on.

Thanks again,

Steve