List etiquette question

ghod ghod at rcn.com
Sun Nov 21 05:21:26 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 14:12 -0500, ghod wrote:
>

>>Ed Wilts, RHCE wrote:

>>>The simplest way to train the HTML users is to ignore any HTML
>>>posting.  There are so many questions to so many lists that we all
>>>have to choose which to respond to and which to ignore.  Ignore the
>>>HTML ones and eventually they'll get the message.
>>>
>>>    .../Ed
>>>

>>That's not training that RUDE
>>I simply made a simple error when tryingto reply on my winBLOWS account
>>so SUE me, I'm working on fixing a ISP provider error on my unix account
>>
>>JERK
>>he said something and I fixed it.. was it that hard to mention it?
>>I know to post in plain text to the list.. was just using a different system
>>
>>I'm mean it.. the RUDE arrogant people on this list really need to take
>>a look at themselves!!!!
>>
>>I will not help if they top post!
>>I will not help if they use html
>>I will not help if they make a typo
>>I will not help I will only make trouble!
>>
>>GO GET A LIFE!
>>if you want to help HELP or shut the FUCK UP!
>>
>>Ghod
>>

>Ed was responding because of the many people that have spoken in this
>thread with the attitude that they can do whatever they want, no matter
>that it irritates the members of the community, and they expect everyone
>to overlook their arrogance and abrasive attitude.
>
>If you are so thin-skinned that his comment is taken personally (as it
>seems it was) then you are the one who loses here.
>
>Every one here, who routinely provides assistance to many, deserves
>respect and thanks for their expertise and a willingness to share their
>knowledge and teach those who ask for assistance.
>
>I agree with most, that those who ask politely (including not posting in
>HTML or if it happens inadvertently are willing to acknowledge it and
>correct the problem) deserve an answer.  OTOH, those who DEMAND an
>answer and are arrogant in their attitude do NOT deserve an answer.
>
>Which are you?

The problem with this arguement is if he IGNORES the user the user will
never know now will he? and will not be able to fix the problem now will
he? and will never know why he hasn't got a reply now will he?

Now if he is told 1-2 times to fix the HTML and refuses... then an
ignore is well worth it in your opinion I will still read them, since
the answers made actually inlighten me on something
so as to not walk around the world with a closed mind, I don't wish to
follow your rules.

well since I haven't asked a question and have only been repling to a
clogged e-mail box with this thread, I guess it's not really clear.

I do help and rarely I do ask for help.. but IF I ask for help it would
be a NEW post on topic which of course I would NEVER demand an answer for.

But I NEVER tell people I wouldn't answer them cause they do something
in a way I don't approve. I'm not MOM for this group and I suspect
nobody wants that job.

So it boils down to what I said earlier..
if you want to help ... then help
stop preaching and HELP!
mention things that bother you, but don't use it as way to decide if you
want to help.
my my what if some day the rules change and MS (the hated company that
it is) actually writes a standard where top posting is the standard..
you gonna give up e-mail and posting PERIOD?

If we are all so stiff that if it's not perfect for us we rant and rave
then we are not helpful and more likely harmful.

we are human, humans make errors NEWSFLASH!!!

The ranting about HTML is tiring and silly these people DEMAND that the
posts not be in HTML
fine, but the arguements they use are all flawed, since they include
HTML tags and links in EVERY ONE OF THEM! I post in plain text for the
digest users. but each post still include HTML links on how to
unsubscribe to the list, and the list name.
back in the stone age they used stones, we have evolved... we need to do
the same with HTML and other things as well... holding the line is NOT
always the best course of action.
I've have used and still know how to use command line mail. I've made a
choice to STOP using it. I would assume almost everyone here has.. those
that argue agiinst are just here to argue for the most part. or they
still live in the stone age!