How does one permanently change hostname ?

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Sun Nov 21 16:11:49 UTC 2004

I'm doing a lot of sshing these days and it helps if the prompt line
reflects the computer I am working on rather than just saying
"localhost".

How does one permanently display the hostname in the command prompt,
aside from changing the command prompt itself.

I've tried using "hostname <newname>" and it works until the machine is
rebooted, but then it comes back with "localhost".  I can't
find /etc/hostname either.

How and where is hostname set and how does one alter it ?

Thanks.

--
Kim Lux (Mr.)  Diesel Research Inc