How does one permanently change hostname ?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Nov 21 16:46:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Kim Lux wrote:

> Thanks for the quick answers, guys.
>
> Shouldn't the hostname function and/or its manpage be changed to tell
> people about this ?

It has nothing to do with the hostname command and everything to do with
Red Hat initscripts. If you can get complete and accurate documentation on
them you are better at this sort of thing than many other people who have
tried before you.

There are many things in the initscripts that the only documentation available
is the script itself. I have learned many things from them over the years.
In the past Red Hat's reasoning for them not being well documented has been
1) some things change too fast, 2) lack of manpower to do it.

Besides we would not want to give away all of our secrets. Who reads
documentation and mailing list archives anyway? 30 seconds with google would
have gotten you an answer and saved you time. :-))

For example:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/enigma-list/2002-February/msg01024.html

Having said, that you could try bugzilla.

Regards,

Tom