acpi_power_off called .... but does not shut down

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Nov 22 00:16:56 UTC 2004

Jim Cornette wrote:
> I hope that other acpi items are not effected as well. I would hate for
> thermal runaway to kill the box because of other broken items within acpi.

AFAIK the mechanisms that throttle or power down processors when they
get too hot are *not* dependent on ACPI.

This is precisely because processors will be expected to run without
ACPI, but there is never going to be a situation where you *want* your
processor to burn out [1]. So the mechanisms are supposed to Just Work,
without software support.

James.

[1] Unless Tom's Hardware want to make another video...

--
E-mail address: james | "I never really understood how there could be things
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | that would drive you insane just because you knew