Upgraded to FC3 from FC2, shot self in foot...

Chuck_Sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Mon Nov 22 02:00:14 UTC 2004

I upgraded one PC from FC2 to FC3, then ran up2date to get it, er..., up
to date. Then I copied all the downloaded files in /var/spool/up2date
to a DVD so I would not have to wait while the hundred-plus updates
download a second time when I ran up2date on another PC.

I upgraded the second PC from FC2 to FC3, then before I ran up2date I
copied all those files into /var/spool/up2date. However, when I then
ran up2date, it did not install any upgrades, but displayed that all
packages were up to date already. Not true. I've tried removing the
files from /var/spool/up2date and a couple of different combinations of
sets of files left there, but up2date always reports no updates are
necessary. I tried running "rpm --initdb" and "rpm --rebuilddb" with
the /var/spool/up2date directory empty, not really knowing if they
would or could help. No joy.

How do I get back to a point where FC3 will do the necessary updates,
short of reinstalling from scratch? I'll do so if I must but would
prefer not to.

Chuck Sterling