Adding to Gnome Menu Panel

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 02:56:47 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 09:49 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>This change to the /usr/share/applications/mozilla.desktop file, which
>>sets the NoDisplay value to true causes the mozilla browser to not show
>>up in menus. If you change the value to the correct setting NoDisplay=false
>>you should have the browser appear on the menus.
>>

> The OP was not concerned with the menus; his problem was that the icon
> on the panel now opens Firefox instead of Mozilla. That is easily
> changed, as someone commented, with the Preferred Applications tool.
>

>>I think they want to push the other browsers and make it more difficult
>>for other users to have the browser show up within the menus.
>>

> Please don't be silly. Given the amount of work that goes into offering
> choice for the user and making things easier, it's absurd to suggest
> that they want to make things more difficult for users.
>
> The correct answer is that this was done to reduce clutter on the menus.
> I still do not agree with that choice, and I think it is a mistake...
> but the motivation was to help users, not harm them.
>
> Cheers,

If he wants to add mozilla to the panel, going to the gnome foot then
the internet menu brings up only 11 choices on my system. This is with
mozilla and mozilla-mail as choices.

Personally, I like "cluttered" menus. I go to these menus, then add the
desired application to a panel launcher (add to panel from menu on right
click).

Adding a choice to hide or unhide choices on the menu sounds more
rational to me. But of course, the visibility tells the user that it is
installed. If they don't use this application, uninstalling it would
remove it from the menu and also free up disk space. In short,
uncluttering the menu does not seem to me a rational concept.

If you choose to install mozilla, you would probably desire to have a
menu entry visible for using the application.

It is easy to think that there is a motivation to distract users from
selecting mozilla, since hiding the choice of a selected program that
was installed is not an expected configuration logic.
I'll hold off on the ultimate conspiracy theory for now. I'm glad that
someone on the test list pointed out how to re-add visbility to the menu.
Hopefully, this choice will be unhidden from the menus in the future.

Jim

--
Good programmers treat Microsoft products as damage and route
around them.

    -- From a Slashdot.org post