Integration of SpamAssassin with Evolution 1.4

Brian Richardson brian at cubik.ca
Mon Nov 22 07:59:51 UTC 2004

A. Lanza wrote:

[ snip ]

>I've noticed that fetching mail is much more slowly this way than
>before, but it's not because of processing time taken by SpamAssassin,
>processor usage stays low. Anybody have an idea of what could be
>happening?

Regardless of what you're seeing in top, filtering every message through
spamc is going to take some wallclock time. You might try adding the -s
262144 (or some other sane number) to your rule to ensure that messages
with file attachments/overly long HTML messages are not filtered through
SpamAssassin. The ideal way to run SpamAssassin is at the mail server
itself, via a procmail recipe. I'm assuming that because you set the
rules in Evolution that this option is not available to you. You may
want to consider a fetchmail/procmail combination to preprocess your
messages, and then read them out of the local spool with Evolution.

Brian
--
Brian Richardson
Software Developer