Suggestion for Multi User Image Gallery

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Mon Nov 22 10:03:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 13:35, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 21.11.2004 schrieb Ow Mun Heng um 5:41:
>
> > I'm looking around for a PHP/MySQL (or just directory based) image
> > gallery which can accomodate a couple of users.
>
> > Most importantly, it must be able to be used by multiple users, with
> > web-based upload.
> >
> > I've looked at
> [ ... ]
> > gallery <--This looks nice
> > (http://gallery.menalto.com/index.php)
>
> > Can anyone provide some suggestions?
>
> > Ow Mun Heng
>
> Me and some friends are running gallery (URL above). It is a very
> powerful and great application at all.

I just installed it and it looks to be real intuitive. (I also tested
singapore and although it looks real nice, (CSS/Templates), playing with
it is a real _pain_ navigation wise.

>  What's negative is that you have
> to frequently upgrade or at least install patches due to security
> issues.

Is that right? I'm aware of PHP's implied insecurities but most of it is
DUE to PHP programmers's skillsets.

> Gallery has it's own user management / storage.

Can you tell me how to put the photos storage location to somewhere
other than the web-root? It's now in /var/www/html/gallery/albums. I
tried to put it into /home/photos (defined in the config.php) but the
images wouldn't show. (upload is OK)

I even tried making a symlink from /var/www/html/gallery/albums to point
to /home/photos, but it didn't work.
(read: Images are broken links

[error] File does not exist: /var/www/html/albums/album01,
referer: http://192.168.0.33/gallery/album01

> The new Gallery 2 which
> is still under heavy development and I think in alpha state runs with
> MySQL in the background.

I'm not sure what using MySQL's benefit is (other than using it for
login/pass)

>  Image upload is both possible by simply using a
> browser (a Java applet is used) or even with an own tool called Remote
> Gallery.

Now.. that's a real Cool Feature. I'm sure users will appreciate that.

Thanks

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora Core 2/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz