public_html not working

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Nov 22 16:56:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 11:48 -0500, David Sanders wrote:
> I am using Fedora Core 3 and cannot get apache to serve the user's public_html
> directory.  I only receive a "403 Forbidden" message.  I have the user
> directory permissions at 711 and public_html at 755.
>
> In httpd.conf I have:
> <IfModule mod_userdir.c>
>     UserDir public_html
> </IfModule>
>
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
>     Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
>     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>     </Limit>
>     <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Deny from all
>     </LimitExcept>
> </Directory>
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
> David

Do you have SELinux enabled?  Then have a peek at
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-apache-fc3/

Also, does the user's home directory have at least the executable bit
set for "other?"  What is the output of

ls -ld /home/[username]

If it is something like this:

[root at thomas ~]# ls -ld /home/thomas
drwx------  4 thomas thomas 4096 Nov 22 10:54 /home/thomas

then you can probably clear up your problem by issuing the command (as
root):

chmod 701 /home/[username]

For example:

[root at thomas ~]# chmod 701 /home/thomas
[root at thomas ~]# ls -ld /home/thomas
drwx-----x  4 thomas thomas 4096 Nov 22 10:54 /home/thomas

Now the user apache has execute access to /home/thomas and since the
httpd runs as user apache it should work.

Cheers,
Thomas