FC3: "No soundcards detected"

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Mon Nov 22 17:55:41 UTC 2004

Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I think this problem with the soundcard detection is known. (I believe I
> saw this issue in bugzilla.) That's because it doesn't work for ISA
> devices, as I think your board (and mine) must be. However, Linux still
> finds it, and cofigures it "correctly". In Knoppix, the soundcard
> configuration tool has the same problem: it does't detect the ISA card.
>
> Anyway, since Linux does find the board, and the drivers, this isn't
> such a problem; and I'm sure there's someone working on that now.
> However, I believe one shouldn't have to max out every setting just to
> hear a sound on the computer! A good setting should give you audible
> sounds at a low setting, sou that you can have some control over the
> volume, don't you think? That's where I believe the ALSA driver has a
> problem. The OSS diver used by Knoppix works fine.
>
> Gustavo.

In my case if it is making sound I can't hear it with the volume max'd
and normally that would blast me out of the room :-).

I think you are correct that it is something related to ALSA as the OSS
sound in FC1 was just fine.

In Knoppix I didn't even try the soundcard detection as, well, it just
worked...

Thanks for the feedback Gustavo.

Mike