Putting avi and mpeg movies into a single VCD

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Nov 22 16:34:35 UTC 2004

A. Lanza wrote:
> I have an avi movie about 735 MB. in size and i'd like to convert it to
> vcd format and burn it into a single CD.
>
> I've known that i can use tools like transcode, mplex and vcdimage... I
> started transcoding the movie to SVCD format with transcode, and got two
> files that, altogether, are larger in size than the original avi file.
> When i use mplex in the next step limiting the size of the result file
> to 700 MB. to fit a single CD, i get an error message telling that the
> files are too large for this.
>
> I guess i have to transcode the original file in a way that i get a
> smaller result files, but i have not been able to do it.
>
> I would appreciate some help.
>
> TIA,
>
> Alf

I don't know if this will work.

Looking at the situation, can you lower the original quality and use
mencoder to convert.  I am not that familiar with VCD but I have been
looking at shrinking some different videos down.  If the resolution is
lowered a few %, maybe the VCD encoding will be able to compress it to
a size that fits.

I have also found that if you are going to burn close to the limits of
a CD-R, do it at a very low speed.  I made a couple of cup holders a
few weeks ago that were at the 700meg size.  At 2X I could burn
working copies.  At anything higher, they were trash.  I used K3b to
burn them.

--
Robin Laing