FC3: lcd monitor & dvi & fonts & nv driver

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Mon Nov 22 20:53:19 UTC 2004

Is anybody using a LCD monitor with FC3 with a dvi cable.

I installed FC3 on a pc connected to an Iiyama ProLite E511S LCD
monitor by a dvi cable. No problems, very nice and sharp screen.
The video card is an nvidia GeForce FX5200 and I am using the "nv"
driver at 1600x1200.

Except the fonts are looking bad. This goes for the default fonts,
Sans, Monospace, etc., but also other choices. And it is the same with
or without antialiasing and subpixel smoothing.

The fonts do not have the same thickness everywhere and some have
red or blue spots (the colors might have something to do with the
RGB subpixel order).

These effects are hardly to be seen on my i8100 laptop screen. Though
font rendering with "best shapes" is marginaly better on the i8100
than "subpixel smoothing'.

Suggestions or solutions welcome.
Would the "nvidia" driver give better results?

Alexander