tar multi-vol

Nina Pham nina at gibbons.com
Mon Nov 22 22:46:00 UTC 2004

I have some problem when I do tar.
# tar cvf /dev/st0 /temp
            tar: /dev/st0: Wrote only 0 to 10240 bytes
            tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now.

Then I tried to untar by tar xvf /dev/st0. I saw just part of the original file which was tar(based on the size).

I thought it was the out of tape problem, so I did
            # tar cvfM /dev/st0 /temp
it just passed with out asking for more tape or anything. It didn’t return any error message.
But then when I tried to untar, it return with : “Cannot extract – fie is continue from another volume”.

Do you have any idea? did it really run out of tape? Does tar with M option(multi-vol) should pause and ask for a new tape if it really ran out of space?

BTW, I’m running kernel 2.4.20-18.9. The tape can hold 20 G, but tar fail when it’s been at 16 G.