FC3 Install Problems

Dan ml at mutox.org
Tue Nov 23 03:09:11 UTC 2004

I have one machine which mostly refuses to install FC3. The install
kernel does not even start.

ASUS P4S 333 Mobo
Celeron 1.7GHz
512MB Ram
Sil PCI PATA "RAID" Controller
Sony CDRW
Various Hard Drives

CDROM fails to boot. Ive tried:

1) boot.iso
2) The rescue cd
3) FC3 CD1
4) FC2 CD 1

USB fails to boot. Ive written diskboot.img to my pen drive in every way
imaginable, still with no success.

The only time i have managed to make it start a FC3 install, was to load
the PXE kernel/initrd onto the system and configure grub to load them.

This worked fine until anaconda was denied access to install (Kinda
critical for a system installer). SELinux audit messages indicated
python did not have rights to modify the rpm database. This happened
after i repartitioned the drive, so I cant install via this method again
easily.

I can boot MS DOS and Windows 98 from CDROM on the same machine without
issue. FC1 was previously installed and Redhat 9 before that.

The other machine I have installed FC3 on has been flawless. I'm typing
this email on FC3.

Anyone else seen anything like this boot issue? More importantly, is
there a fix?

Cheers,

Dan