FC3 Firewall issue...

John Burton j.c.burton at gats-inc.com
Tue Nov 23 13:35:24 UTC 2004

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

>>How do I open ports 5678, 5679, and 990 through the firewall for
>>/dev/ttyUSB0 ?
>

> Hmm. You seem to be confused.  once you can open these ports in
> firewall  any applications would be allowed to access deamons running
> on these ports.
>
> There are two types of firewalls
>
> application specific like zonealarm in windows
> port specific like iptables in Linux

Thanks for the reply, and perhaps my original post was confusing. I will
try to be more precise.

I am trying to connect my Compaq iPaq PDA (running PocketPC 2002) to my
HP/Compaq nx7000 Laptop (running Fedora Core 3) via USB (using the SynCE
package). When I plug the iPaq into the USB port of the laptop, FC3
recognizes it properly and the proper modules are loaded. One of the
modules is a USB<->Serial module.  The next step is to establish a
communications link with the iPaq. This is done with a command from the
  SynCE package called "synce-serial-start". This establishes a PPP
connection between the Laptop and the iPaq - I am doing a "tail -f
/var/log/messages" the entire time and note that a PPP connection is
indeed established and IP addresses are assigned to both ends of the
connection. I also get a message that I am running a firewall on the PPP
connection that is blocking ports 5678, 5679, and 990. At this point I
have a PPP connection established, but am still unable to communicate
with the iPaq, presumably because of the firewall.

So my question remains, on Fedora Core 3, with the security & firewall
as set by default in the initial installation, how do I open ports 5678,
5679 and 990 for the PPP connection?

John