FC3 Kernel Panic - not syncing with old recompiled kernel

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 13:47:55 UTC 2004

Admin wrote:
> I've just upgraded from FC2 -> FC3 and I'm having trouble compiling a
> working kernel.
> My old 2.6.8.1 kernel which was compiled under FC2 works just fine
> under FC3, but when I recompile it under FC3 I get the following
> errors:
>
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel
> audit(1101046871.4294965592:0): inititalized
> Red Hat nash version 4.1.18 starting
> mkrootdev: label /1 not found
> mount: error 2 mounting ext3
> mount: error 2 mounting none
>  switchroot:  mount failed:  22
>  umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
>  Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Um. Let me guess, the old kernel uses the old initrd, but the new one
uses a recompiled initrd.

Under Device Drivers -> Block devices, do you have RAM disk support
(ramfs) set to yes (a module won't do) and initial RAM disk set to yes?

The initrd support has changed significantly since FC2.

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | like a clock, it regularly went cuckoo."