yum

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 14:01:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:05:53 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> Paul Tomblin wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:33:45 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> >>Try the yum RPM at http://www.city-fan.org/ftp/contrib/yum-repo/ and see
> >>if that helps until there's an official errata release.
> >

> > I installed that a few days ago when you sent this message, and it
> > appears that it doesn't run at all at night.  There is a system update
> > waiting, but last night's nightly cron job didn't install it, and
> > there was no error or warning message.  It still appears to work
> > interactively, though.
>
> Does /var/lock/subsys/yum exist?

Yes, I checked that before I wrote.

> Can you try:
>
> # chkconfig yum on
> # service yum start

No need:
# chkconfig --list yum
yum             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:on    6:off
# service yum status
Nightly yum update is enabled.

Actually, I'm not sure that I like it being on in runlevel 5 and not
runlevel 3.  I run without a graphic head quite frequently.  Ok, I do
a chkconfig yum on and now it's on for 2, 3, 4 as well as 5.

> It does seem to be working here.

Well, when I went to bed last night, the status icon was showing that
some updates were available, and this morning it was still showing
that same icon, and /var/log/yum.log showed the last installation was
when I used yum to install postfix-pflogsumm yesterday.

So I know it works fine interactively.

--
 "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we
are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and