Quick survey, multiple drives

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:09:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:01:55 -0500, Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at gmail.com> wrote:
> A quick show of hands here:
> - Do you run Fedora Core 3 with multiple ATA-66 or ATA-100 drives?

Yup.  Three of 'em.

> - If so, how are they jumpered and cabled?

The primary channel has two drives on it, comprising the /boot
filesystem (RAID-1 on both disks), / filesystem (first disk only),
/home (RAID-1 on both disks), and /data (second disk only).  The
secondary channel has one drive (/var/video and my seldom used Windows
partition) and one DVD-RW drive on it.  Both channels are using
cable-select cables and are jumpered as such.

> - Can you do large fetches and writes to the second drive without
> getting DMA errors?

Yup.

> I'm frustrated as hell by this - I had no problems with the 2.4 kernel
> with my set-up, and now I can't reach my mp3 collection because it's
> on my second drive and the 2.6 kernel seems unable to deal with it.

Sounds to me like a flakey drive or bad cables or cabling.
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )            ben.steeves at gmail.com
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs      / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves