Quick survey, multiple drives

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 23 16:57:15 UTC 2004

Use SATA on a new motherboard if you have it. SATA offers higher
throughput, the cables are far smaller, and on the better motherboards
you get a bunch of SATA connectors -- mine has 4. You can buy a
Highpoint RocketHead 100 serial ATA converter that converts your
existing PATA drives to SATA. Fedora Core 3 sees the drives just fine
because the right driver gets loaded at boot time by initrd.

I most appreciate being able to get rid of the old, kludgy, wide ribbon
cables. Even round IDE cables require more space and are less flexible
than an SATA cable.

Bob