FC3 Install Help

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Nov 23 17:15:02 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-11-23 10:26, Hiker Mike whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> I am a total Linux newbie. I run Windows2000 on my work system and I
> have an extra 6 gb IDE hd to experiment with. I made isos of the
> FC3-i386 disks and installed it solely in the blank IDE drive and not
> the SCSI drive where everything else is. The problem is that I (thinK)
> I mistakenly configured GRUB and told it to boot solely off SCA (where
> windows is) instead of dev/hdd1 where the GRUB bootloader would have
> been installed. When I boot now, it just goes straight to windows. I
> never got an option to make a boot disk during the FC3 install. This
> is actually fine as I really would prefer to boot Fedora solely off a
> boot disk instead of a boot loader at the outset.
>
> I tried downloading the RAWWRITE utility and making a disk from the
> bootimage.img disk available in the ftp directories but that did not
> work - it just said Boot Failed on a restart. I then tried booting
> again from FC-3 disk 1 and going into Linux Rescue. Bear in mind, I
> have not yet even been into Fedora, configured anything, or even seen
> what it looks like. Using instuctions gleaned from the web, I made
> myself root using chroot /mnt/sysimage, typed uname -r to get the
> kernel info (2.6.9-1.667) , and then typed mkbootdisk --device
> /dev/fd0 2.6.9-1.667. It prompted me to put a disk in, standard
> warnings, and I hit enter but then get this error:
> cp: writing '/tmp/mkbootsisk .MQc406/initrd.img': No space left on device
> cat: write error: No space left on device
> cat: write error: No space left on device
> 20+0 records in
> 20+0 records out
>
> and it seems to be making the disk.
>
> When I reboot with this disk, I get
> syslinux 2.11 2004-08-16 etc...
> Could not find kernal image: linux
> boot:
>
> Could I get a little help to get me on my way here?
>
> Thanks!

> FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

Yes, makebootdisk now fails because in general, the Fedora kernel and
other stuff will no longer fit on a normal floppy disk.

See: http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html
for instructions on how to modify your Windows boot.ini file so you can
start GRUB
from the second drive.

Or, you could tell your BIOS setup to boot from the IDE disk instead of
the SCSI.  That way, the grub loader on it will come up, and you can
choose booting Windows from there.

--
Fritz Whittington
Let each man exercise the art he knows. (Aristophanes, Wasps, 422 B.C.)