message from terminal about md5sum and I don't know how to understand it

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Nov 23 18:19:58 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 07:09:16PM +0100, yahya John Lorenzen wrote:
> [root at dhcppc0 root]# md5sum <FC3-i386-disc1.iso>
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

The shell (not the terminal, by the way -- the terminal is the screen you're
looking at, and the shell is the command prompt program running on it)
doesn't like the "<" and ">" characters you've used. Those characters have
special meaning to the shell (redirection), so you can't just enclose a
filename in them.

always want the " or ' characters. You could say

   md5sum 'FC3-i386-disc1.iso'

but since there's no spaces or special characters in that filename, you
don't need to.