message from terminal about md5sum and I don't know how to understand it

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 23 18:27:14 UTC 2004

yahya John Lorenzen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im sorry to ask again...
>
> But really I have a hard time to see what my mistake please see your
> self...

Where are your ISO files? Which directory did you download them to? You need
to give md5sum the name of the ISO file(s) you want to check.

> [root at dhcppc0 root]# md5sum <FC3-i386-disc3.iso>
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
> [root at dhcppc0 root]# md5sum <FC3-i386-disc4.iso>
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
> [root at dhcppc0 root]# md5sum FC3-i386-disc4.iso
> md5sum: FC3-i386-disc4.iso: Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog
> [root at dhcppc0 root]# md5sum /root/FC3-i386-disc4.iso
> md5sum: /root/FC3-i386-disc4.iso: Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog
> [root at dhcppc0 root]# md5sum root/FC3-i386-disc4.iso
> md5sum: root/FC3-i386-disc4.iso: Ingen sådan fil eller filkatalog
> [root at dhcppc0 root]#
>
> What am i doing wrong now?

As somebody mentioned earlier, it would be a very good idea for you not to be
running as user "root", especially since you are not sure about what you are
doing. Have you created an account for another user?

Paul.