FC2 won't boot on battery!!

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 23 19:39:25 UTC 2004

Dave Oxley replied to James McKenzie's message:

James Mckenzie wrote:

>Dave Oxley wrote:
>

>>I've worked out why FC2 won't boot while my laptop is running on
>>battery. It appears it will boot if a CD/DVD is in the DVD drive, but
>>won't boot if the drive is empty!! Anyone have any ideas on this?
>>

>Check the boot order of your system to make sure that the Hard Drive with the boot loader (Grub or Lilo) is first, >followed by the CD drive.  This should correct your unable to boot problem.  If this does not fix it (either the >drive is identified as unbootable or your system continues on and checks the CD drive), your Master Boot Record >is corrupt.  This will require reinstallation of the boot loader.  This has been discussed before in the list and >should be accessable through the list archives.
>
>This is not a bootloader issue. This is beyond grub. The boot process
>gets to 'Setting up local disks' and hangs. If I then turn the machine
>off (hard boot required) and plug the power in, it then boots up fine.

Interesting, I might try that with my A22p (IBM Thinkpad) and see what happens.  Maybe this is a bug in the LVM process that affects all Laptop computers when running on battery power.  Then again, it might just be isolated to Dell 8600 laptops.  Something else to check.  I'm wondering if any of the other laptop owners are running into this problem?

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!