Gnome 2.8 file association problem

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Tue Nov 23 19:56:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 08:39 -0800, Richard Quint wrote:
> After a clean install of Fedora Core 3 I changed the default application
> to open html files from Epiphany to Firefox.  After doing this I no
> longer can open an html file by left double clicking or by right
> click->Open.  Right click->Open With still works.  When I do right
> click->Properties I get the file association dialog with radio buttons
> to change the default application (Firefox, Epiphany,Xemacs, ...) but
> changing the default has no effect.  Also the Delete application button
> is greyed out in the dialog.  This hasn't effected the default
> applications for other file types-e.g., left double-clicking a text file
> opens it in gedit. Where is the setting kept?

I think what you are looking for is
"~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list"
but I strongly suggest filing a bug (http://bugzilla.redhat.com)

> A second Gnome question.  I have tried googling for help on how to
> associate a particular type of XML file (known by its extension) with a
> default application without success.  Anyone know how to do this?  The
> application is Maple 9.5, which saves its worksheets as XML files with
> the extension .ms.

Is "Right-click->Properties->Open With" not working for this case?

Anyway, like Rodolfo suggested, you can create (or modify) a .desktop
file to register the application as capable of handling that file.

You can also check the documentation at
http://www.freedesktop.org/software/shared-mime-info

(don't know if the pages are currently online, freedesktop.org was
compromised recently and they were in the processes of rebuilding their
system)

and if you want to add that file type to the shared-mime-info, you can
do so by filing a bug in http://bugs.freedesktop.org (which is online
ATM).

Regards,
--